The Churches of Britain and Ireland

 

Cwmbran, Torfaen                                         

Cwmbran on Wikipedia.                                     
 

Churches at Henllys, Pontrhydyrun.

The former Bethel Congregational Church at Upper Cwmbran, now a private residence. Gerard Charmley (2010).

The site of the demolished Congregational Church at Ty Coch, on Ty Coch Lane. This church shows on maps from the 1920's up to the early 1950's. Janet Gimber (2015).

Crematorium Chapel. Gerard Charmley (2010).

Ebenezer Evangelical Church (Congregational). Gerard Charmley (2010).

Elim Independent Chapel. Gerard Charmley (2010).

Fairhill Methodist Church at Fairwater. Janet Gimber (2015). Link.

Gosepl Hall on Oakfield Road, Oakfield. Janet Gimber (2015).

Hope Methodist Church. Gerard Charmley (2010).

Holy Trinity Church (CiW) at Pontnewydd. Gerard Charmley (2010).

The disused Oakfield Cemetery Chapel, on Oakfield Road. Janet Gimber (2015).

Our Lady of the Angels (R.C.). Gerard Charmley (2010).

The former Penywaun Congregational Chapel on Waun Road. The badly eroded date-stone gives the date of 1819. Both Janet Gimber (2015).

Richmond Road Baptist Church at Pontnewydd. Janet Gimber (2015).

St. David (R.C.). Gerard Charmley (2010).

St. Gabriel (CiW). Gerard Charmley (2010). Link.

St. Mary (CiW) on St. Mary's Road, Croesyceiliog. Janet Gimber (2014).

The site of St. Peter (R.C.) on Fairhill. Janet Gimber (2015).

Salvation Army. Gerard Charmley (2010).

Siloam Baptist Church, also at Upper Cwmbran. Gerard Charmley (2010).

Trinity Presbyterian Church (1905. re-built 1934). Gerard Charmley (2010).

Two Locks Baptist Church (at Two Locks), built as Ebenezer Baptist Church (1860). Gerard Charmley (2010). Link.

U.R.C. on Commercial Street, Old Cwmbran.   Janet Gimber (2015).

Upper Cwmbran Methodist Church. Gerard Charmley (2010).

Victory Church, in a former factory on Greenforge Way. Another view. Both Janet Gimber (2014). Link.

Probable former Wesleyan Chapel (or built on the site of), now a social club. Gerard Charmley (2010). Janet Gimber has confirmed that this is the Wesleyan Chapel, though modified. See here (Wesley Street, about 2/3 of the way down), which has images of "before" and "after" the renovations.

Henllys
The former Mount Pleasant Baptist Chapel (1876). Janet Gimber (2015).
St. Peter. Two additional views - 1, 2. The churchyard has a preaching cross. All Janet Gimber (2015). Link. Grade II* listed.
The former Zoar Baptist Chapel (1836). Janet Gimber (2015).

Pontrhydyrun
The splendid Baptist Church dates from 1836-7, and replaced an earlier building of 1815. Originally financed by the Conways (the local ironmasters), it has recently been completely refurbished. Two interior views - 1, 2 (by kind permission of the pastor, J. G. Edwards). All Gerard Charmley (2010). Link.
The site of St. Andrew (CiW). The present building is called St. Andrew's Lodge. Janet has a vague recollection of this building, and suspects (though has not been able to find proof) that this was a tin tabernacle. Janet Gimber (2015).

 

 
 

Home

20 March 2016

Steve Bulman

Contact Details