The Churches of Britain and Ireland
|Clevedon, including Walton St.
Mary , Somerset
A Chantry Chapel was once present on the site of what is now Highdale Farm, off Highdale Avenue. Attested to in 1297, it seems to have gone out of use at the Dissolution. The farmhouse is Grade II listed, part of the text of which says "Lower range containing the so-called Chapel Room is attached at rear", which leaves it unclear whether anything of the chapel survives. In this photo, the gable-end of the "Lower range" can be seen at the right, and the grid reference is for the lower range rather than the main farmhouse. ST 41009 71402. © Carole Sage (2018).
Christchurch (1838-9, pinnacles and gargoyles added in the 1850's) on Chapel Hill. This was originally Christ Church, but the name was changed in 2005, marking the merger with Linden Road Methodist Church (for which, see below). ST 40884 71454. © Andrew Ross. Two additional views - 1, 2, the latter showing the modern extension. Carole mentions that many of the stone carvings are not wearing well, but here are a couple which are in a more sheltered position, the first a rather fine knight - 1, 2. As ever, one can't fail to be impressed by the dedication of the masons who made such detailed carvings, and which could never be clearly seen by people on the ground - 1, 2. All © Carole Sage (2018). Link. Grade II* listed.
Clevedon Court Chapel. Clevedon Court is a National Trust property, a C14 manor house. The chapel, along with the great hall, are the oldest surviving parts. Another view. ST 4225 7157. Both © Carole Sage (2016). Interior view, © Janet Gimber (2017). Link. Grade I listed.
Clevedon Evangelical Church meets in the Y.M.C.A. building on Marsdon Road. ST 40773 71165. © Carole Sage (2017).
Clevedon Family Church (Evangelical), Elton House, on Albert Road. ST 4053 7158. © Carole Sage (2016).
Friends' Meeting House (1868) on Albert Road. ST 4052 7149. © Carole Sage (2016).
A house on Hill Road was used at one time as a Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. It has subsequently reverted back to residential use. ST 40675 71757. © Carole Sage (2017).
Kenn Road Methodist Church. Founded in 1949, originally in two old army huts, the present church was built in 1990, with the rearward extension added in 1999. Another view. ST 4083 7032. Both © Carole Sage (2016).
Kingsley Hall, on Old Street. Andrew says it doesn't look or feel like a church, but it's so marked on OS maps. ST 414 714. © Andrew Ross. Mike Berrell has advised that (amongst others) Clevedon Spiritualist Church (S.N.U) meet here, and provided this link.
The former Linden Road Methodist Church on Lower Linden Road and Sunnyside Road. The congregation dates back at least as far as 1880, and joined with Christ Church in 2005, as an ecumenical partnership, where they now worship. The building was subsequently redeveloped as flats. Another view. ST 4078 7136. Both © Carole Sage (2016).
Living Waters Church meet at Clevedon School. ST 4154 7231. © Carole Sage (2016).
A Mission Church was built on Kenn Road some time between 1884 and 1904 (from old map evidence). The site was redeveloped by 1930, and Carole's photo shows the houses which now stand on the site. Can you supply any additional information? ST 40876 70774. © Carole Sage (2017).
St. Andrew's Church cemetery chapel. ST 393 707. © Andrew Ross.
St. John, on St. John's Road. ST 407 712. © Andrew Ross.
St. Mary, at Walton St. Mary, stands on the site of a medieval church, though it had a Saxon predecessor. The present building (apart from the lower, medieval parts of the tower) dates from the 19th century. ST 40957 72615. © Graeme Harvey (2010). Three additional views - 1, 2, 3, gargoyles, the golden cockerel weather-vane, two interiors - 1, 2, the angels on the hammer beams, three windows - 1, 2, 3, the chancel and chancel arch (showing the rood beam, a gift from parishioners as a thanksgiving for peace after WWII), the stone pulpit, altar, and the font. A statue on the North porch is said to have come from the old church. The list of rectors goes back to 1315. All © Carole Sage (2017). Link. Grade II listed.
Chapel Services are held in The Hawthorns Retirement Home. ST 4009 7141. © Carole Sage (2016).
Unknown former church on Hill Road, now a nursing home. ST 406 717. © Andrew Ross. Janet Gimber has advised that this was Congregational, and later U.R.C.
29 July 2019
© Steve Bulman