The Churches of Britain and Ireland

 

Chester, Cheshire

Chester on Wikipedia.


Churches in Blacon, Boughton, Handbridge, Hoole, Newtown, Plas Newton, Saltney and Saltney Ferry, Upton by Chester.

All Saints on Hoole Road. SJ 418 675. Mike Berrell.

The former Anchorite's Cell. Gervase advises that there has been a hermitage here since at least the time of the Norman Conquest. An unlikely local legend has it that King Harold survived the Battle of Hastings, and lived out his days here as a hermit. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

The former Anglican Mission by the canal basin. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

Bluecoat School Chapel (the nearest wing). Gervase advises that the chapel was also used by the residents of the almshouses of St. John's Hospital, and for the last communion of the condemned from the old Northgate Prison. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

Caldy Valley Community Church is shared by the congregations from the U.R.C. (former Boughton Congregational church), and the Methodist congregation from the Central Hall (City Road). Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

The former Canal Church, and Anglican Mission, now a private residence. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

The Cathedral Church of Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary. SJ 406 664. Philip Kapp. A postcard, franked 1911, from Steve Bulman's Collection. Three further views 1, 2, 3 - all Steve Bulman. Link.

Chester Castle, Agricola Tower, which has a medieval chapel. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

Chester City Mission. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

Chester University Chapel. Interior view. Both Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

Christadelphian Hall stands on the site of the demolished New Connexion Chapel. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

Christian Science Church. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

City Road Presbyterian Church (English-speaking Presbyterian Church of Wales). Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

Crewe Street Gospel Hall. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

Ebenezer Baptist Church. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

Eglwy Bresbyteraidd Cymru on St. John Street. Steve Bulman.

Garden Lane Methodist Church is in the process of uniting with Sealand Road U.R.C. (se below). Another view. Both Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

The former George Street Primitive Methodist Church. Heather Jones had kindly written in to advise me that this is in fact the Temperance Hall. The chapel, demolished many years ago, is shown here. Another view of the Temperance Hall. Both Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
Sandy Calder has clarified, and advises that according to
The Origin and History of the Primitive Methodist Church by H. B. Kendall (1906), pp. 554-7, the first building shown here was in fact the original George Street Chapel, only becoming the Temperance Hall when the now-demolished chapel was built.

The Guild Church of St. Peter at the Cross on Eastgate Street is of pre-Norman foundation. 117 SJ 405 663. Philip Kapp. Another view. Steve Bulman. Link.

The former Holy Trinity, which now serves as the Guildhall. 117 SJ 403 662. Philip Kapp.

Matthew Henry's Chapel on Trinity Street (off Watergate Street. unitarian.co.uk. This, and many other old engravings on this website, are reproduced from the downloadable books on the Unitarian Church Headquarters website here. The books are Pictures of Unitarian Churches by Emily Sharpe (1901) and the 1914 edition of Nonconformist Church Architecture by Ronald P. Jones M.A, (Oxon), and the images are reproduced by kind permission of James Barry of Unitarian Church Headquarters. My appreciation also to Mike Berrell for his efforts in this regard.

All that remains of the Methodist Central Hall is the basement wall, below the raised roadway. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

Northgate Church (Pentecostal, originally Congregational). Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010). Link.

Penri Memorial Chapel - "Penri Addoldy Y Bedyddwyr Caerlleon" has a date-stone for May, 1893. 117 SJ 407 666. Philip Kapp. Another view. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

The former Pepper Street Methodist New Connexion Chapel has a date-stone for 1853. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

Quaker Meeting House. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

Queen Street Christian Centre (Pentecostal) used to be Welsh Wesleyan. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

All that remains of the former Queen Street Congregational Church is the facade, built into the back of a supermarket. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

Recently closed when Gervase took the photo, St. Andrew (U.R.C.) was originally the Matthew Henry Memorial Presbyterian Church. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

The former St. Barnabas, now a private residence. Another view. Gervase advises that the last occupants of the church were Greek Orthodox. Both Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

St. Clare (R.C.). Peter Morgan.

St. Columba (R.C.) on Newton Lane. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010). Link.

St. Francis' R.C. Church is attached to the Franciscan Friary. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

The former St. James on Housesteads Drive and Hoole Lane is now a Sports and Community Centre. My appreciation to Janet Gimber for the identification. Peter Morgan (2011).

St. John. From an old engraving of unknown date in Colin Waters' Collection.

St. John the Baptist. Jane Marriott. Interior view. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

St. John's Wesley Methodist Church on St. John Street. Steve Bulman. Link.

A glimpse of St. Mary, near the castle. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010). Link.

The former St. Michael, on Bridge Street and Pepper Street, although of medieval origins, is largely a re-build of 1849-51, and serves as a heritage centre. SJ 406 661. Steve Bulman. Link.

The former St. Nicholas (near the cathedral) was a medieval chapel, but has long been put to more profane usage, including, Gervase advises, as a Victorian music hall. The present facade must date to the Victorian Gothic revival. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

St. Olave on Lower Bridge Street closed in 1861. Another view. Both Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

St. Thomas of Canterbury on Parkgate Road. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

St. Werburgh (R.C.). Jane Marriott.

Sealand Road U.R.C. See also the Garden Lane Methodist Church (above). Gervase advises that there is some local concern regarding the future of this old tin tabernacle. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

Spiritualist Church on Commonhall Streeet. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

Vicar's Cross U.R.C. - the congregation from Queen Street Congregational Church (see above) moved here. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

The former Welsh Congregational Church on Albion Street. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

Zion Tabernacle Protestant Evangelical Church, originally Grosvenor Park Baptist Church. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).


Blacon
Chester Community Church, a former Methodist Chapel. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
Matthew Henry Evangelical Church (1964, replacing an earlier Presbyterian/Unitarian church). Inside, it retains some furnishings from the old building. Built for the ministry of the Bible commentator Matthew Henry, the Unitarians eventually moved on, and an Evangelical church took over the building. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
St. Theresa (R.C., 1959). Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
Holy Trinity without the Walls, the parish church. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
U.R.C. (1960's). Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

Boughton
The former Calvinistic Methodist Chapel was later Congregational (though a different congregation). Originally a coach house for Boughton Hall, and converted by Philip Oliver of the hall. The CM congregation now meets at the City Road Presbyterian (see above), while the Congregationalists built the church below. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
The former Congregational Church (1873). Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
St. Paul. Gervase explains that although Victorian Gothic, this was remodelled from an earlier Italianate building. Do you have a drawing or photo of the original? Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
The former Tarvin Road Methodist Church was built as Primitive Methodist in 1884, and closed in 2009. Another view. Both Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

Handbridge
St. Andrew (U.R.C.) was originally Congregational, and is now united with St. Andrew in the city (see above). Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010). Link.
St. Mary. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010). Link.

Hoole
Hoole Baptist Church (1883). Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
Hoole Methodist Church (built as Primitive Methodist, 1903). The original chapel stands at the rear of the later building. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
Hoole U.R.C. on Hoole Road. SJ 422 678. Mike Berrell.
Former Mission Hall on Westminster Road. Janet Gimber's researches indicate that this building was originally All Saints National School for Boys. Old maps imply it was built no later than the 1870's, but by 1911 it was a Mission Room. It now forms part of an ice-cream factory. Janet was unable to discover a closure date. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

Newtown
Christ Church. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
New Church (Swedenborgian) on Brook Lane. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
New Town Salvation Army hall. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

Plas Newton
Kingsway Chapel (Evangelical). Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
St. Michael and All Angels at Plas Newton. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

Saltney and Saltney Ferry
Saltney straddles the border with Flintshire. The Flintshire churches are marked "#".
St. Anthony of Padua (R.C.) #. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
St. Mark, the parish church. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010). Another view. Both Frank Joinson.
Saltney Christian Centre, previously the Hough Green Methodist Chapel. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010). This same building has also been known as Church of Christ. Frank Joinson.
Saltney Methodist Church #. The building visible here is a 1961 extension to High Street Chapel, which still exists behind. The extension followed the merging of the congregation with that of Hough Green Chapel (see above). Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
The former Wesleyan Chapel at Saltney Ferry #. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
The former (and derelict) Saltney Ferry Presbyterian Church #. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

Upton by Chester
Church of the Holy Ascension, the parish church. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
The former Congregational Chapel (1860), which was subsequently a shop, but is now a private residence. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
Upton Baptist Church, a modern build for the congregation which formerly attended Grosvenor Park Baptist. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
U.R.C. - despite appearances, this is not an entirely modern building. Gervase advises that this is a re-fronting and extension of an early 20th century gothic building. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).

 

 
 

Home

22 April 2006

Steve Bulman

Contact Details