The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Castle Donington, Leicestershire
Castle Donington on Wikipedia. The former Baptist Church. An inscribed stone states "General Baptist Chapel, erected 1774, enlarged 1827". SK 4448 2734. © George Weston. Another view, © Mike Berrell (2011). In a 2009 Streetview a "sold" sign can be seen. Subsequently the steps leading to the chapel have been cleared away to provide a parking area - 2023 Streetview. Grade II listed. In 2011 the congregation met at Orchard Primary School on Grange Drive. SK 4429 2754. © Mike Berrell (2011). In 2025 the church website says that they now meet in the village hall on Moira Dale as Castle Donington Community Church - seen by Streetview in 2023. SK 4505 2726. There are also references to the congregation meeting in a building now known as the Sailors and Soldiers Club, originally a Congregational Chapel (2023 Streetview), on Clapgun Street. An old (1899) directory, which can be seen here, dates it to 1840, and also says that it was "now [i.e. in 1899] called the Victoria Hall, and used for entertainments". SK 4483 2742. Church of the Risen Lord (R.C.) on Castle Hill. SK 4479 2752. © George Weston. Two interior views - 1, 2, both © Mike Berrell (2011). Link. Previously listed as the former Congregational Church on Dovecote (in secular use for many years, now a warehouse), Howard Richter has advised that none of the available maps mark it as anything other than a school or Sunday School, as far back as the 1880's. Do you have access to earlier maps or other sources? SK 4465 2719. © George Weston. Prayer Room in East Midlands Airport, on Viscount Road. Two interior views - 1, 2. SK 452 257. All © Mike Berrell (2011). Link. The former Friends' Meeting House (now a private residence) on Barroon. SK 4505 2755. © George Weston. The Methodist Church on Apiary Gate. A map of 1921 labels it as Wesley Church. SK 4461 2728. © George Weston. Four interior views - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, all © Mike Berrell (2011). The church was closed in 2022 - newspaper article. Grade II listed, wherein it's dated to 1905. Its Wesleyan predecessor of 1823 also stood on Apiary Gate, at SK 4469 2723. Its site was seen by Streetview in 2023. There are references to it having become a cinema in the 1920's. The congregation has moved to Light Station (2023 Streetview) on Clapgun Street. SK 4483 2745. Link. The cemetery on Barroon used to have a double Mortuary Chapel. SK 4517 2747. It was still extant in the mid-1950's but was later demolished at some point. Its site (behind the topiary bush) was seen by Streetview in 2023. St. Edward King and Martyr on Borough Street. Older maps label it as St. Luke's. Howard Richter has found a reference to the church in 1880 as St. Luke and St. Edward (king and martyr). SK 4469 2732. © George Weston. Another view, © Bill Henderson. Another view, two interior views - 1, 2, a blocked up stairway, and hagioscope, or squint - a fairly unusual survival. © Mike Berrell (2011). Link. Grade II* listed.
|
||
23 March 2025
© Steve Bulman