The Churches of Britain and Ireland

Brampton, Cumbria

Brampton on Wikipedia.
 

Bethesda Evangelical Church on Main Street. NY 5287 6110. Martin Briscoe. This was previously a Primitive Methodist Chapel, and its entry here dates it to 1829.

The Methodist Church on Moat Side, built as Wesleyan in 1900 (source). NY 5310 6121. Martin Briscoe. Another view, Alan Blacklock. Link.

The former Primitive Methodist Chapel on Moatside. Closed in the 1930's, it was used as a theatre for many years. Dated here (with more photos) to 1879, it was demolished in 2013. NY 5321 6116. Martin Briscoe.

St. Martin (1878) on Front Street. NY 5283 6102. Martin Briscoe. The tower, Steve Bulman. The church is deservedly famous for its stained glass by Burne-Jones; the window photo, and this interior view, are both Peter Morgan (2009). Link1. Link2. Grade I listed.
This church replaced an earlier church of 1789 on the same site. This was successor to the medieval St. Martin, just over a mile to the west away, of which only the chancel survives. NY 5101 6155. Steve Bulman. Grade II* listed.

St. Ninian (R.C.) is mentioned here as having been active in a property called Ashmore from 1957 to 2014. It says it was on Craw Hill, which, if Google Maps and Streetview are accurate, is an error for Craw Hall. It can glimpsed on a 2016 Streetview, but a better photo is an aerial view here. Circa NY 533 609.

U.R.C. on Moat Side. It's dated here to 1864, replacing an earlier chapel of 1772 (though whether it was on the same site isn't specified). NY 5308 6117. Martin Briscoe. Behind and to the left of the church is this building, which has rather a "chapel" look about it. Can you confirm if it was? Steve Bulman. Janet Gimber has advised that, on a map of 1864, the U.R.C. is labelled as Presbyterian, and the other building as "Ind Chap (Calv)". The buildings later became physically linked, so presumably had merged. The church was closed in 2019 - news item.

Howard Richter advised that there is a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel marked on the OS map of 1864, on Gelt Road, at NY 5288 6099. It certainly survived to at least 1901 as an active church, and he suspects that the building is still extant. Indeed it is, as these two photos show - 1, 2, the latter also showing St. Martin in the background. This source dates it to 1836, a re-build of an earlier chapel on the same site of 1799. It was succeeded by what is the present Methodist Church. Both Steve Bulman (2015).

 

 

 

Home

29 January 2021

Steve Bulman

Contact Details