The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Churches in Allerton, Bowling, Frizinghall,
Great Horton, Heaton, Horton Green,
Lidget Green, Manningham.
Bradford Lawley Salvation Army Hall, attached to the Lawley House hostel. © Rob Brettle.
The former Broadway Avenue Unitarian Church, which was founded in 1906 by a splinter from the Ryan Street Congregational Church (see below), led by William Rosling, and closed in 2006. © Gerard Charmley (2014). Link.
Cathedral - see "Parish Church" below.
Chapel of Grace on Great Horton Road was originally Congregational. © Gerard Charmley (2014).
Christ Church on Church Street, Windhill. SE 156 376. © Michael Bourne.
Church of God Fellowship meet in a former business building. © Gerard Charmley (2014).
College Chapel (1839) was pastored by the Principal of Independent College, hence the name. It looks to be rather a handsome building, though the adverts are not to its advantage. © Gerard Charmley (2014).
Ebenezer Methodist Church on Rooley Lane, Dudley Hill, was built as Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel in 1886. SE 1800 3109. © Mike Berrell (2014). A more recent view, © David Regan (2020). Its My Primitive Methodists entry dates its closure to 2011, or soon after.
The one-time Essex Street Congregational Church has been so modified since closure that it's no longer recognisable as a chapel. © Gerard Charmley (2014).
German Evangelical Church (1877) on Great Horton Road. Also known as the Delius Arts and Cultural Centre, services in German are still held here. © Gerard Charmley (2014). Link. Grade II listed.
Gospel Hall on Manchester Road, Bankfoot. SE 157 302. © Michael Bourne.
Grange Road Baptist Chapel was a replacement for the Tetley Street General Baptist Chapel. © Gerard Charmley (2014).
Gurdwara Guru Nanak Dev Ji (Sikh temple) is the former Prospect Hall (Wesleyan Central Hall, 1912). An older chapel stands to the rear. Both © Gerard Charmley (2014).
Holy Trinity (1606) at Low Moor. SE 160 289. © Michael Bourne. Link.
The former Horton Grange Congregational Church is now in use as a community centre. It dates from the early 20th century. © Gerard Charmley (2014).
Jamiyat Tabligh-ul-Islam Mosque on Darfield Street, Westgate. © Gerard Charmley (2012). Link.
Leeds Road Baptist Church (1878), now a restaurant. © Gerard Charmley (2014).
The site of Little Horton Lane Congregational Church - now a small garden. © Gerard Charmley (2012).
Little Lane Church (Methodist, U.R.C. and Baptist). © Gerard Charmley (2014). Link.
Parish Church. Thanks to Matthew Firth for advising that this is now Bradford Cathedral. This makes it St. Peter's. From an old postcard, Jackie Blackman's Collection. A modern view. © Stan Walker. Link.
Polish Catholic Church on Edmund Street. Previously Catholic Apostolic. © Gerard Charmley (2012). Link (in Polish).
The former Presbyterian Church. © Gerard Charmley (2012).
Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady's Immaculate Conception. SE 184 377. © Bill Henderson (2013).
Ryan Street Congregational Church. See also Broadway Avenue Unitarian Church above. © Gerard Charmley (2014).
The former St. Anne (R.C.) is now in commercial use. © Gerard Charmley (2014).
St. Columba on Horton Grange Road. © Gerard Charmley (2014).
St. Columba (R.C.) on Tong Street. © Mike Forbester. Link.
St. John the Evangelist (1766) on Rooley Lane, Bierley. SE 177 304. © Michael Bourne. Link.
St. Joseph (R.C., opened 1887) on Pakington Street. Two interior views - 1, 2. All © Mike Forbester. Link.
St. Luke (1848) on Harrogate Road, Eccleshill. SE 186 357. © Mike Berrell (2014). Link.
St. Mary (R.C., 1875). It was closed in 2006 or soon after, and is now known as Regency Hall (link). SE 1700 3337. © Gerard Charmley (2014). Another view, © David Regan (2020).
The former St. Mary Magdalene Orthodox Church on Wood Street. © Gerard Charmley (2012). Link (news story). Grade II listed - link.
St. Patrick's Mission Church (R.C.,1852-3) on Sedgefield Terrace. © Gerard Charmley (2012). Link. Grade II listed - link.
St. Peter (R.C.) on Leeds Road. Interior view. Both © Mike Forbester. Link.
The former Salem Independent Chapel on Oak Lane. © Gerard Charmley (2012).
The former Salvation Army Citadel (1888, though the frontage is evidently modern), now a bookshop. © Rob Brettle.
Former Salvation Army mission house (the property with ABA of the shop sign in front of it) on Leeds Road. © Rob Brettle.
The former Shearbridge Road United Methodist Chapel is now an Islamic college. © Gerard Charmley (2014).
Shree Lakshmi Narayan Hindu Temple on Leeds Road. © Rob Brettle.
Shree Prajapati Association Bradford (Hindu Temple and Community Centre) on Thornton Lane (off Little Horton Lane) was formerly Little Horton Congregational Church. © Gerard Charmley (2014). Link.
The former Sion Jubilee Baptist Chapel (1873) on Harris Street. SE 1699 3309. © Gerard Charmley (2012). Another view, © David Regan (2020). Grade II listed.
Sunbridge Road Mission. Elaine Hindson Collection. Although their website doesn't seem to have a photo of their church, I have been able to verify that they still use the same building by using Google Earth.
Synagogue, off Lumb Lane. © Gerard Charmley (2012). Link. Grade II* listed - link.
Trinity Church (Methodist and Baptist) on Leeds Road, Laistersyke. SE 186 330. © Mike Berrell (2014). Link.
The former Trinity General Baptist Church. © Gerard Charmley (2012).
Unitarian Chapel (1867) on Chapel Lane, demolished 1969. © unitarian.co.uk. This, and many other old engravings on this website, are reproduced from the downloadable books on the Unitarian Church Headquarters website here. The books are Pictures of Unitarian Churches by Emily Sharpe (1901) and the 1914 edition of Nonconformist Church Architecture by Ronald P. Jones M.A, (Oxon), and the images are reproduced by kind permission of James Barry of Unitarian Church Headquarters. My appreciation also to Mike Berrell for his efforts in this regard.
Unitarian Church on Russell Street (1969), successor to the above chapel. © Gerard Charmley (2014). Link.
The former Wallis Street United Methodist Free Church has been closed for many years, and appears to be in industrial use. The National Archive holds records for this church for the years 1911-35. © Gerard Charmley (2014).
Zoar Particular Baptist Chapel on Allerton Road. Interior view. Kevin advises that this was built ca. 1967 as an Exclusive Brethren Meeting Room until 1987, when the Particular Baptists moved here from Darfield Street (see below). Both © Kevin Price (2011).
Zoar Particular Baptist Chapel on Darfield Street. © Gerard Charmley (2012).
04 March 2023
© Steve Bulman