The Churches of Britain and Ireland

  Powys

Powys on Wikipedia.


Abbey-cwm-hir, St. Mary. The present church was built with stone from the abbey. © Eirian Evans. Another view, interior view, and the remains of the old church, all © John Bowdler. Link.
Aberedw, St. Cewydd. SO 0803 4731. From an old postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection. A modern view, the porch, and an inscribed gravestone (inscribed with, Paul tells me, "IH 1604"), all © Paul Wood (2015). Link.
Abergwesyn, Pantycelyn Baptist Chapel. SN 893 537. © Simon Atkin. Abergwesyn historically had two parish churches (in different parishes), one on each side of the river - St. David to its west, and St. Michael to its east, as shown on a map here (Llanddewi = St. David, Llanfihangel = St. Michael). The two parishes were united in 1885. St. David had already fallen out of use (the last service had been held in 1865), and it had been demolished by the time of the 1888-9 O.S. map, where it is marked as "Remains of". The Coflein entry includes an old photo, and says that, in 1977, some low walls of the church were still visible
. St. Michael has also gone, the Coflein entry giving dates of a re-build of the medieval church in 1871, and demolition in 1964. All that remains today on the site is a graveyard with some ancient yews, and a fine Celtic cross, which is grade II listed. A circa 1950 Francis Frith photo of the church is available here. SN 8544 5266. Both © Paul Wood (2015). Moriah Independent Chapel is still extant. Exterior and interior photos are available in the Coflein entry, which also provides dates as follows - originally dating from 1828, it was re-built in 1867, and was active until the early years of the present century, closing before 2010. A 2011 Streetview. SN 8537 5258.
Abertridwr, Sardis Chapel (1821 - date-stone). SJ 034 188. Both © Dennis Harper (2014). Link.
Aberyscir, St. Mary and St. Cyndir (CiW). Another view. SO 0003 2967. Both © Paul Wood (2017). Link1. Link2. Link3. Coflein entry.

Battle, St. Cynog (CoW). SO 008 309. © Simon Atkin. Another view, © Paul Wood (2017). Link.
Beguildy, St. Michael and All Angels. Interior view. An ancient chest. All © John Bowdler. Link.
Berriew, St. Beuno. SJ 1878 0082. © Eirian Evans. Interior view, © Tim Hollinghurst. An old postcard view, from Reg Dosell's Collection. Another view, showing the churchyard gate. © Ellie Thomas (2010). Two additional views - 1, 2, both © Paul Wood (2016). Link.
Bettws Disserth, the former St. Mary, now in use as a holiday let. Another view. SO 1161 5693. Both © Paul Wood (2017). Link.
Beulah, Eglwys Oen Duw (Church of the Lamb of God, 1867). Two interior views - 1, 2. SN 9133 5211. All © Mike Berrell (2013). Another view, © Paul Wood (2017). Link1. Link2.
Bleddfa, St. Mary Magdalene (CiW). Roof timbers. SO 206 683. Both © Ken Taylor. Two interior views - 1, 2, both © Mike Berrell (2011). A Tin Tabernacle - Zion Baptist Chapel. © Gerard Charmley (2011).
Brecon.
Bronllys, St. Mary (CiW). Link. Bethel Presbyterian Chapel (1929), and the preceding building. All © Gerard Charmley (2011).
Bryngwyn, St. Michael (CiW). SO 1866 4948. © Gerard Charmley (2011).
Two additional views - 1, 2, both © Paul Wood (2016).
Builth Wells.

Bwlch-y-Sarnau, Baptist Chapel (1900). © Gerard Charmley (2011).

Cantref, St. Mary. Two additional views - 1, 2. Paul explains that the damage to the ancient yew trees, evident in the last photo, was caused by a severe thunderstorm just a few days before his visit. NO 0565 2546. All © Paul Wood (2016). Link.
Capel-y-Ffin
, the tiny St. Mary (1762). Interior view. Baptist Chapel. All © Gerard Charmley (2010). Link (for both churches). The former Monastery, founded by Father Ignatius. Another view, and the church, which is in ruins, though only 100 years old or so. Wikipedia says it was badly-built. All © Gerard Charmley (2011).
Carno, St. John the Baptist. © Mark Summers. Link.
Cascob, St. Michael and All Angels (CIW). SO 239 664. © Richard Roberts (2014). Link.
Castle Caereinion,
St. Garmon. A Victorian church, replacing a medieval one. Another view. SJ 1636 0548. Both © Paul Wood (2016). Coflein entry.
Cefnllys, St. Michael. SO 085 615. © Bruce Read. An old postcard view, from Steve Bulman's Collection. Cefnllys (or Cefn-Llys) is a deserted village east of Llandrindod Wells. Another view, and an interior view, both © John Bowdler. Link.
Churchstoke, St. Nicholas. The porch. Both © John Bowdler. Three interior views - 1, 2, 3, and the pulpit, all © John Bowdler (2010). Link. Methodist Church (1879). SO 2686 9407. © Steve Bulman (2018). Link.
Clyro, St. Michael and All Angels. Interior view. Francis Kilvert was curate here. Link. The former Congregational Chapel. All © Gerard Charmley (2011).
Coedway, St. Andrew (Presbyterian). SJ 340 148. © Les Needham (2011).
Cornhill, the former Primitive Methodist Chapel (1864). © Gerard Charmley (2011).
Crewgreen, the former Bethel Primitive Methodist Chapel (1875), currently undergoing conversion. SJ 321 151. © Les Needham (2011).
Crickadarn, St. Mary (CoW). SO 089 423. © Simon Atkin. Link.
Crickhowell, St. Edmund. From an old undated postcard, collection of Mrs. Marion Allen. A very similar postcard view, but in B&W, from Reg Dosell's Collection. Link. Betharaba Baptist Chapel (1840),
and Danycastell Presbyterian Church (1805), both © Gerard Charmley (2011).
Crossgates, St. Padarn. © Dorothy Turley.
Cwmbach Llechryd, St. John the Divine. SO 028 521. © Bryan Price. Link.

Defynnog, St. Cynog. Another view, and another taken during the restoration of 2010. The early font, and the "foliated cross". All © Richard Camp. Another view, © Paul Wood (2017). Link. The former Trinity Calvinistic Methodist Chapel. © Neil Floyd. Link.
Discoed, St. Michael. © Tim Hollinghurst. Link.
Disserth, St. Cewydd (CiW). Timber roof construction detail - "scissor beams". Interior view. SO 035 583. All © Simon Atkin. Another view, and two interior views - 1, 2, all © John Bowdler. Link.
Dolau, Baptist Church, © Bruce Read.
Dolfor, St. Paul. SO 106 871. © Eirian Evans. Another view. Interior view. Both © Mike Berrell. Free Church (re-built 1987, original building 1923). SO 107 870. © Mike Berrell.
Dolley Green, Ackhill Baptist Church (1930). Another view. SO 284 655. Both © Steve Bulman (2014). The preceding tin tabernacle still stands across the road, and is now in use as a schoolroom. © Paul Wood (2016). The Coflein entry dates the old church to 1905-10.
Dolyhir, a tin tabernacle, which looks abandoned. Can you advise the denomination? © Gerard Charmley (2011). Mike Berrell's researches have revealed that this was never a church, being (possibly among others)  a reading room, mens' club, and a football changing room.

Evenjobb, St. Peter. Interior view. Bethel Baptist Chapel. All © Gerard Charmley (2011).

Forden, Ebenezer Congregational Church. SO 566 822. © Chris Kippin. Link.
Four Crosses, former chapel, now in secular use. SJ 269 186. © Mike Berrell (2010). Another view, and the dates of building and re-building (1823 and 1854) on the doorway, both © Dennis Harper (2014).

Garth, Olewydd Congregational Chapel. SN 964 501. © Mike Berrell.
Garthbeibio, St. Tydecho. Although today the church is largely of a re-build of 1862, some of the medieval fabric remains. Another view. SH 9855 1189. Both © Paul Wood (2016). Link.
Gaufron, Baptist Church. SN 999 679. © Bruce Read.
Gladestry, St. Mary. Interior view. Link. The former Zion Chapel, now a private residence. All © Gerard Charmley (2011).
Glasbury.
Glascwm, St. David. Interior view. Both © Tim Hollinghurst.
Gravel, Baptist Chapel. © Gerard Charmley (2011).
Guilsfield, St. Aelhaiarn. © Tim Hollinghurst. Link.
Gwenddwr, St. Dubricius. SO 065 433. © Simon Atkin. Link.

Hay-on-Wye.
Heartsease, Presbyterian Chapel. The sign below the apex has dates 1842 and 1902. © Gerard Charmley (2011).
Heyope (sometimes Heyop), St. David. A photo of the medieval church, demolished to make way for the Victorian re-building, can be seen here. SO 2398 7345. ©
Paul Wood (2016). Link1. Link2.
Howey, St. David. Another view. Both © John Bowdler. Providence Baptist Chapel (1853) on Chapel Road. SO 056 588. © Richard Roberts (2016).
Hyssington, St. Etheldreda. Two further views - 1, 2. Two interior views - 1, 2, the font, altar, and pulpit. Hyssington Methodist Church, originally Primitive Methodist. The roundel below the roof apex has an inscription, and a barely readable date, which may be 1889. All © John Bowdler (2010).

Kerry, St. Michael and All Angels. Another view. Interior view, and the altar. Link. Baptist Chapel. Another building, now a private residence, appear to be a former chapel. Two views - 1, 2. Janet Gimber advises that this is the former St. Michael and St. Brendan (R.C.), which was built as a Reading Room and Community Centre in 1856. It closed ca. 1980. Link (which also has some information on the Parish Church). All © John Bowdler.
Knighton.

Leighton, Holy Trinity. © Chris Emms (2009). Link.
Libanus, St. John. © Eirian Evans. Ebenezer U.R.C. (1973) was built on the site of an earlier building. © Gerard Charmley (2010).
Llanafan Fawr, St. Afan. The burial place of St. Afan, and an ancient site, said to date from A.D. 409. SN 969 558. © Bryan Price. Another view, some ancient re-used carved stones, and the huge yew in the churchyard, estimated at 1300 years old, all © Paul Wood (2017). Link. Pisgah Particular Baptist Chapel at SN 9806 5648. © Paul Wood (2017).
Llanafan Fechan - see Llanfechan, below.
Llananno, St. Anno. Another two views - 1, 2, and an interior view, showing the spectacular rood screen. All © John Bowdler. Link.
Llanbadarn Fynydd, St. Padarn. Interior view. Both © John Bowdler. Link.
Llanbister, St. Cynllo. Two further views - 1, 2, all © John Bowdler. Two interior views - 1, 2, both
© Gerard Charmley (2011). Link. Wesleyan Chapel. © Gerard Charmley (2011).
Llanbrynmair, Hen Capel (Welsh Independent), originally dates from 1739. Two interiors - 1, 2. All © Gerard Charmley (2014). Grade II listed.

Llanddew, St. David. SO 054 307. © Simon Atkin. Another view. © Eirian Evans. Link.
Llanddewi Fach, St. David, which stands isolated some distance WSW of Painscastle a
t SO 1461 4542. © Paul Wood (2016). Link, which says it was re-built in 1860 on the site of an earlier church. Coflein entry.
Llanddewi Ystradenni, St. David. SO 108 686. © Bruce Read.
Llandefaelog Church, CiW, near Brecon. SO 028 358. © Martin Briscoe.
Llandefalle, St. Matthew (but see link). © Eirian Evans. Link.
Llandegley, St. Tecla. SO 139 628. © Bruce Read. Link. Pales Meeting House (Society of Friends) website. SO 1380 6405. Coflein entry (with photos). Grade II* listed.
Llandetty, St. Tetta. Paul warns that care is needed if visiting, as the churchyard was in a poor state of repair, with "quite a few hidden dangers". SO 1280 2023. © Paul Wood (2016). Link.
Llandewi'r Cwm, (near Builth), St. David. © Martin Briscoe.
Llandinam, St. Llonio. © Mark Summers. Link. Presbyterian Church. © Gerard Charmley (2011).
Llandrindod Wells.
Llandrinio, St. Trinio, St. Peter and St. Paul. SJ 296 171. © Les Needham (2011). Link. Grade II* listed - link.
Llandysilio, St. Tysilio. Two more views - 1, 2. SJ 267 193. All © Dennis Harper (2014). Link.
Llanerfyl, St. Erfyl. As is so often the case, this church, of ancient foundation, is largely of a Victorian re-build, in 1870, though some medieval features were retained. There is a very ancient yew in the churchyard. SJ 0340 0977. Bethel Independent Chapel. SJ 0339 0969. The Coflein entry dates it to 1925, replacing an earlier church of 1825, though it doesn't say if it was on the same site. All © Paul Wood (2016).
Llanfair Caereinion, St. Mary (CiW). © Chris Emms (2009). Another view, © Paul Wood (2016). Link. Presbyterian Church. © Chris Emms (2009).
Llanfechain, Soar Chapel (Presbyterian CiW), which formally closed in 2008. Thanks to the Revd. Pam Powell M.A. for the identification. SJ 189 204. © Martin Briscoe.
Llanfechan, St. Afan. Another view. SN 9728 5033. Both © Paul Wood (2016).
Llanfihangel Brynpabuan, St. Michael and All Angels. Previously listed as St. Beneface of the Upper Ways, Neuadd, my appreciation to Bryan Price for the correction. SN 983 567. © Bruce Read. Link.
Llanfihangel Helygen, St. Michael. SO 046 644. © Bryan Price. Link.
Llanfihangel Nant Melan, St. Michael. Interior view. Both © Tim Hollinghurst.
Llanfihangel Rhydithon, St. Michael. Interior view. SO 151 667. Both © Ken Taylor. Another view, © Paul Wood (2016). Coflein entry.
Llanfilo, St
Bilo. Another view. SO 1190 3324. Both © Paul Wood (2016). Link. Coflein entry.
Llanfrynach, St. Brynach (CiW). SO 076 258. © Simon Atkin. Another view, © Paul Wood. Link. The former Mizpah Baptist Chapel, converted into two houses. SO 075 258. © Simon Atkin.
Llanfyllin.
Llangadfan, St. Cadfan. Unusually, the lych-gate stands in the middle of the churchyard, the result of its expansion in 1910. The church itself is believed to be of ancient foundation, but is today largely the result of extensive restoration in the 1860's of a fifteenth century building. SJ 0110 1033. Both © Paul Wood (2016). Coflein entry.
Llangammarch Wells, St. Camarch. Another view. Paul advises that the church has had an interesting history - the medieval church was said to be ruinous by the 1800's, and was replaced by a new church in 1850. Built in the Victorian Gothic style, it was never popular with the local people, and was described as “mean church on a abrupt eminence”. This was replaced by the present church in 1915-16, with the tower added in 1927. A carved medieval stone is set into the porch, which Paul suggests should be moved to somewhere better protected from the elements. SN 9350 4731. All © Paul Wood (2017). Coflein entry.
Llanganten, St. Cannen (CiW). SO 0093 5176. © Paul Wood (2016). Link.

Llangasty-Tallyllyn, St. Gasty (CiW). SO 133 261. Interior view. Both © Simon Atkin. Link.
Llangattock, St. Cattwg. SO 2108 1787. From an old postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection. A modern view, © Paul Wood (2016). Link. Bethesda Congregational Church. © Gerard Charmley (2011).
Llangedwyn, St. Cedwyn (CiW). © Peter Morgan (2013). Link.
Llangenny, St. Cenau (CiW). SO 2401 1814. © Paul Wood (2016). Link.
Llangors, St. Paulinus (CiW). SO 135 276. Link. Former Penuel Baptist Chapel. dating from 1869, now a private residence. SO 135 275. Both © Simon Atkin.
Llangunllo, St. Cynllo. Another view. Both © John Bowdler. Link.
Llangurig, St. Curig. © Graeme Harvey. Link. The former Ebenezer Chapel (Calvinistic Methodist, 1904). © Gerard Charmley (2010). Wesleyan Chapel. © Gerard Charmley (2011).
Llangynidr, Sardis Baptist Chapel, the present building dates from 1858. SO 153 202. © Simon Atkin. St. Cynidr (CiW). SO 1554 1941.
© Paul Wood (2016). Link, which says that this medieval church was completely re-built in 1928, following a a fire.
Llangynog, St. Cynog (1792, re-built 1894). Two interior views - 1, 2. SJ 053 261.
Link. Carmel Methodist Chapel (1875). Ebenezer Methodist Chapel, now a private residence. Built in 1895, the date-stone records that it was laid by one T. A. Jones from Williamsburgh, Iowa. Penuel Chapel (1826, re-built 1868). All © Peter Morgan (2013).
Llangynog Pwll-Du, the scant remains of St. Cynog, and the site. A yew tree has been estimated as 700 years old. All © Paul Wood (2016).
Llanidloes.
Llanilltyd, the scant remains of St. Illty
d. Although a medieval church seems likely here, the present remains are of the church re-build of 1858. It was demolished in the 1990's. SN 9714 2612. © Paul Wood (2017). Archaeological report (pdf) here. Coflein entry.
Llanleonfel, Church (no dedication). Standing alone in a field, this church is thought to be of ancient foundation, though the present structure is mainly of the 1870's. Another view. SN 9388 4994. Both © Paul Wood (2015).
Llanllwchaiarn, Church of Llwchaiarn. SO 124 925. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. Link.
Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant, St. Dogfan. Link. Bethesda Chapel (Calvinistic Methodist, 1828). As can be seen here, it used to have a small spire. Both © Peter Morgan (2013). The former Salem Baptist Chapel (1855-1919) stands at SJ 1231 2617, and can be seen in a 2009 Streetview. It's now in residential use. Coflein entry. Seion Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (1834, re-built in 1904) can be seen here, in 2009. The pre-1904 chapel can be seen here. Coflein entry. The grade II* listing says that it is a particularly fine Arts & Crafts chapel. Tabernacl Independent Chapel stands just a short distance away at SH  1220 2605. Seen here in a 2009 Streeview, its Coflein entry (includes photos) provides a building date of 1822, with an enlargement in 1862 and modifications in 1870 and 1884.
Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain.
Llansantffraid-Cwmdeuddwr, St. Bride (CiW). © John Bowdler. Another view,
© Gerard Charmley (2011).
Llansantffraed-Juxta-Usk, the church variously referred to as St. Freida, St. Fraed, St. Bridget or St. Bride. Dating from the mid-1880's, it had a medieval predecessor. Two additional views - 1, 2. SO 1222 2349.
All © Paul Wood (2016). Link.
Llanspyddid, St. Cattwy
g. Another view, and the porch. SO 0118 2819. All © Paul Wood (2017). Link1. Link2. Coflein entry.
Llanwddyn, St. Wddyn. Another view, two interior views - 1, 2, and the font. SJ 022 192. Link. Bethel Chapel. Another view, and the date-stone for 1874. SJ 016 191. All © Dennis Harper (2014).
Llanwrthwl, Powys, St. Gwrthwl. Another view, and the supposed prehistoric stone in the churchyard. SN 9757 6373. U.R.C. SN 9768 6348. All © Paul Wood (2017).
Llanwrtyd, St. David. Another view, and a "pillar stone", believed to be of 7th - 9th century date. The church is said to be of 6th or 7th century foundation. SN 8636 4779. All © Paul Wood (2017). Link (many more photos).
Llanwrtyd Wells, Bethesda Calvinistic Methodist Chapel (1808, re-built 1867, enlarged 1907). SN 878 466. © Mike Berrell. Another view, © Janet Gimber (2014). An earlier Methodist meeting place survives, though not obvious to the casual viewer. In what is now the Drovers Rest Tea Rooms is a cellar, used by the first Methodists during the 19th century, as described on a plaque. Another view. All © Janet Gimber (2014). Congregational Chapel. SN 880 468. © Mike Berrell.
Llanymynech, St. Agatha on Rectory Lane. SJ 268 208. © Mike Berrell (2010). Three additional views - 1, 2, 3, all © Dennis Harper (2014). Link. Presbyterian Church of Wales on Chapel Lane. SJ
267 207. © Mike Berrell (2010).
Llanynis, St. David. SN 9983 5086. © Paul Wood (2017). Link. The very brief Coflein entry.
Llanyre, St. Llyr. SO 043 624. © Bruce Read.
Llanywern, St. Brynach. © Martin Briscoe.
Lower Chapel, St. Michael and All Angels. Two interior views - 1, 2. SO 028 359. All © Mike Berrell (2013). Another view,
© Paul Wood (2016). Link. Bethesda Chapel (Presbyterian Church of Wales). SO 028 357. © Mike Berrell (2013). Link.
Llowes, St. Meilig. Another view, and an interior view. All © Tim Hollinghurst. Link1. Link2.
Llyswen, St. Gwendoline. © Eirian Evans. Link.

Machynlleth.
Maesmynis, St. David. Salem Chapel. Both © Martin Briscoe.
Maesyrhelem, Baptist Chapel. Another view. Both
© Gerard Charmley (2011).
Maesyronnen, U.R.C. - the oldest Nonconformist chapel in Wales. At one time it was a cow-shed. Two interior views - 1, 2. All
© Gerard Charmley (2011). Link.
Montgomery, St. Nicholas. SO 22368 96517. © Chris Emms (2009). Another view, © Simon Edwards (2012). Link. Grade I listed. Presbyterian Church (1885). SO 22307 96653. © Steve Bulman (2018). Grade II listed. The former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (1903). SO 22288 96717. © Steve Bulman (2018).

Nantgwyllt, the Church. Another view, and an interior view, all © John Bowdler.
Nantgwyn, Chapel. © Eirian Evans.
Nantmel, St. Cynllo. SO 035 665. © Dorothy Turley. Another view. © Bruce Read. Two further views - 1, 2, both C John Bowdler. Link.
Neuadd, Pisgah Baptist Chapel. SN 981 563. Both © Bruce Read.
New Radnor, St. Mary. © Dorothy Turley. Two further views - 1, 2, both © John Bowdler, and another, © Paul Wood (2015). Link.
Newbridge-on-Wye, All Saints - dates from 1883. SO 015 582. © Bruce Read. Another view, © Eirian Evans, and another
© Paul Wood. Pentref Baptist Chapel (1879). Another view. SO 014 583. Both © Bruce Read.
Newchurch,
St. Mary. Two interior views - 1, 2. Calvinistic Methodist Church. All © Gerard Charmley (2011).
Newtown.
Norton, St. Andrew. SO 3045 6725. © Paul Wood (2015). Coflein entry.

Oakley Park, Presbyterian Chapel. © Eirian Evans.
Old Church Stoke, a former chapel, now in residential use.
© Chris Kippin.
Old Radnor (Pencraig), St. Stephen. Interior view. Both © Tim Hollinghurst. Another view, the tower, porch and lych-gate; an early-looking carved head is built into a wall.
All © Paul Wood (2018). Interior view, from an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. Link. The grade I listing says it is "one of the finest medieval churches in Wales".

Painscastle, Adullam Baptist Chapel (1848). Painscastle Congregational Church. Both
© Gerard Charmley (2011).
Pant-Mawr, Capel Uchaf (Calvinistic Methodist, 1874) was re-built on the site of an earlier building. Another view. Both © Gerard Charmley.
Patrishow, St. Ishow. From an old illustration (mid 1930's) in Colin Waters' Collection. An old postcard view of the screen, from Christopher Skottowe's Collection. Link.
Pen Ithon, Baptist Chapel (1908). SO 088 827. © Mike Berrell.
Pen-y-Bont-Fawr, St. Thomas (1855, CiW). Interior view. Link1. Link2. Bethania Chapel (1867). All © Peter Morgan (2013).
Pencelli, St. Meugan at Llanfeugan (though there is no village of that name). © Tim Hollinghurst. Link.
Penegoes, Ebeneser Independent Chapel, identified by Mike Berrell. SH 778 011. © John Bowdler. Coflein entry, which dates it to 1823. Howard Richter has advised of three other churches and chapels which stand/stood nearby. A former Calvinistic Methodist Chapel stands at SH 7755 0095, which the Coflein entry dates to 1840. Now converted to residential use, it can be seen on a 2009 Streetview here. A Wesleyan Methodist Chapel stood near Ebeneser, at SH 7775 0100. Coflein dates it to a re-build of 1906, the original chapel of 1823 having been previously replaced in 1848 and 1872. It finally closed in 1970, and is noted as "disused" in 1998. Streetview shows a residential building on the site; whether this is a completely new building, or incorporates all or part of the chapel is (so far) not known. Ebeneser can also be seen, immediately left of the Wesleyan, behind the car. St. Cadfarc (CiW) stands at SH 770 010. Built in 1884, it was the replacement for a medieval predecessor. Streetview in 2010. Coflein entry. Link.
Pengenffordd, Moriah Presbyterian Chapel. Rear view, showing the gallery stairs. Both © Gerard Charmley (2010).
Pentrefelin, Salem Chapel (1845, renovated 1926). © Peter Morgan (2013).
Penybontfawr, Pen-Nebo Wesleyan Chapel (1890 - date-stone). Both © Peter Morgan (2014).
Penygarnedd, Carmel Wesleyan Chapel (1884 - date-stone). Both © Peter Morgan (2014).
Pilleth, St. Mary (CiW). Interior view. SO 256 822. Both © Ken Taylor. Two further views - 1, 2, and the Holy Well, all © John Bowdler. Link1. Link2.
Presteigne, St. Andrew, which retains some pre-Norman fabric, though is otherwise largely of C14. SO 3155 6455.
© Dorothy Turley. Two further views - 1, 2, and an interior view, all © John Bowdler. Link. Grade I listed. Baptist Church. The date-stone isn't entirely clear in the original, but I think it says "Built 1845, Enlarged 1885". © Gerard Charmley (2011). Methodist Church on High Street, originally Primitive Methodist (1861 or 1867, with adjacent hall of 1888). It had a predecessor of the mid-1830's. SO 3126 6461. © Gerard Charmley (2011). Link. Grade II listed. There was also a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, on St. David's Street. Maps show it present from 1903 to 1975, and gone by 1989. SO 3140 6458. The site where it stood can be seen here on a 2009 Streetview.

Rhayader.
Rhosgoch, Hermon Congregational Chapel. © Gerard Charmley (2011).
Rhydybont, Independent Chapel. The date-stone has dates 1778, 1829 and 1911. © Gerard Charmley (2011).
Rhydycul, Elim Chapel (1839). © Peter Morgan (2013).

Sarn, Holy Trinity. Both © John Bowdler.
Snead, St. Mary the Virgin. Two further views - 1, 2, two interior views - 1, 2, the font and pulpit, and a carved head. SO 316909. All © John Bowdler (2010). Link1. Link2.

Talgarth, St. Gwendoline (CiW). © Gervase N. E. Charmley. Another view. © Gerard Charmley (2011). Link. Bethlehem Calvinistic Methodist Church. © Gervase N. E. Charmley. U.R.C., originally Bethania Congregational Chapel. © Gerard Charmley (2011). Tabernacle Baptist Chapel. © Gerard Charmley (2011).
Tallachddu, St. Mary. Medieval, but restored in Victorian times, Eirian describes it as "delightful". © Eirian Evans.
Tanhouse, Presbyterian Church (formerly Welsh Calvinistic Methodist). © Ken Taylor.
The Pound, Hepzibah Baptist Chapel. © Gerard Charmley (2011).
Trefecca, Coleg Trefecca Chapel. Coleg Trefecca is a training centre run by the Welsh Presbyterian Church. The college building was originally built as the home of Howell Harris' "Trefecca Family", a religious community. The original chapel is the closer wing here. Both © Gervase N. E. Charmley. Link.
Tretower, St. John the Evangelist. © Gervase N. E. Charmley. Link. Zoar Chapel (1844), © Gerard Charmley (2011).

Upper Chapel, Ebenezer Chapel. SN 998 417. © Simon Atkin. Capel Dyffryn Honddu at SO 0072 4058. © Paul Wood (2016). Coflein entry.

Welshpool.
Whitton, St. David (CiW). SO 270 673. © Ken Taylor. Another view, interior, and the font, all © Steve Bulman (2014).

Yardro, Baptist Chapel. © Gerard Charmley (2011).

 

 
  

Home

12 November 2019

© Steve Bulman

Contact Details