The Churches of Britain and Ireland

  Moray

Moray on Wikipedia.


Ballindalloch, Inveravon Parish Church, north of the village. Pictish carved stones. The church is dated here to 1806, successor to a church of 1568 on the same site. Its grade B listing dates it to 1808, and says that some fabric from the earlier church was incorporated in the present building. NJ 1828 3762. Both
Peter Morgan (2021). Canmore entry.
Buckie, All Saints (Episcopal) on Clunie Square. Buckie North Church (CoS) on Clunie Square. Both Alex Parker. Link.
Burghead, Church of Scotland. NJ 115 695. Link. Free Church of Scotland. NJ 115 695. Both John Mackie.

Cullen, the Old Kirk, on Old Church Road. Rev. Wilma Johnston. Another view, Alex Parker. Link.

Dallas, St. Michael (CoS). NJ 122 521. John Mackie. Link.
Dyke, Church of Scotland. NH 988 582. John Mackie.

Elgin.

Findhorn, Parish Church (1843). Two interior views - 1, 2. All Charles Clegg (2011). Link1. Link1.
Findochty, Church of Scotland. This source advises that it was built as United Presbyterian in 1863. A map of 1905 labels it as United Free. NJ 4635 6815. Another view. Both
Peter Morgan (2021). The Methodist Church, which stands on Seaview Road, was seen by Streetview in 2016. NJ 4613 6778. The church website advises that the present building has been in use since 1916, having previously used what is now the Salvation Army Hall, from the 1870's. The S.A. Hall stands on Chapel  Street, at NJ 4614 6783. It was seen by Streetview in 2008.
Fochabers, Bellie Parish Church on George Street. Alex Parker. Link.
Forres.

Hopeman. Baptist Church. Both Martin Briscoe.

Keith, St. Rufus (CoS) on Church Road. Alex Parker. Holy Trinity (Scottish Episcopal) on Seafield Avenue, John Balaam (2014). Link.
Kinloss, Parish Church (CoS, 1765, enlarged 1855). Charles Clegg (2011). Link.
Knockando, the Knockando, Elchies, and Archiestown Parish Church. Murray Lynn. Link.

Lossiemouth.

Pluscarden, Church of Scotland. Another view. Link. Pluscarden Abbey. Another view, and two interiors - 1, 2. Link1. Link2. All Peter Morgan (2014).
Portessie, the Methodist Church on Chancellor Road. It shows as Wesleyan on older maps. NJ 4418 6545.
Peter Morgan (2021). Link. Its likely predecessor (now in residential use) stands on Chapel Street. It was seen by Streetview in 2008. NJ 4445 6662. Link. Old maps show a Mission Hall at NJ 4428 6656. It has survived, as this 2008 Streetview on Ogilvie Street shows. It's dated here to 1904. The same website also mentions an un-located Brethren Gospel Hall, possibly on Victoria Street or Stuart Street. No maps I have access to show it.
Portgordon, Enzie Parish Church of Scotland stands on a block surrounded by Hope Street, and West High Street. It was previously Enzie North Parish Kirk. NJ 3970 6427. The former Methodist Church is on Gordon Street at NJ 3985 6433. Link dates it to 1874. Both Peter Morgan (2021).

Rafford, Church of Scotland. NJ 060 584. John Mackie. Another view, Peter Morgan (2014). Link. Former Church, now the village hall. Howard Richter advises that this is the former Free Church, at NJ 068 556. Dating from 1889, it became the hall from 1950, when it was bought from the church by the villagers. The Wikipedia entry for the village - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafford - says that there was an earlier church dating from 1843, which stood where the car park is now - so between camera and church. Peter Morgan (2014).
Rothes, Church of Scotland on High Street and Kirk Place. Another view. NJ 2778 4917. Both
Peter Morgan (2021). Link dates it to 1782. It also mentions its predecessor, St. Laurence, which stood in the burial ground (Streetview in 2008) on Burnside Street. No trace is apparent above ground. NJ 2741 4917. The former Free Church, also on High Street, is now in commercial use. This source dates it to 1900 to no later than 1992. Peter Morgan (2021). About a mile south of the town is the site of a chapel at NJ 2761 4849. It lay somewhere near the ridge at the back of the field seen in a Streetview from 2015. It's listed here only as a possible chapel site.

Tomintoul, Church of Scotland (1826, remodelled 1900); one of Thomas Telford's churches. NJ 167 191. Link. Grade B listed. The former United Free Church. NJ 167 189. Link, which suggests a date for construction in the 1840's. This transcription (see under the second Kirkmichael entry), published in 1846, says that a Free Church existed. An 1882 gazetteer however, does not mention a Free Church (though other churches are listed). Does this mean that it had already closed by this date? Both Martin Richter (2013). Our Lady and St. Michael (R.C., 1837), Peter Morgan (2014). Grade B listed. Described by Peter only as "between Tomintoul and Dalchirach", this church was identified by Howard Richter, who advises that it is Kirkmichael Parish Church, at NJ 144 239. Another view. Both Peter Morgan (2014). Link which supplies a building date of 1807, with renovation in 1951 following a fire. Grade C listed.

 

 

 
 

Home

02 November 2021

Steve Bulman

Contact Details