The Churches of Britain and Ireland

  Midlothian

Midlothian on Wikipedia.


Cranstoun Church (near Pathhead). Bill Henderson.

Dalkeith.

Fala & Soutra, the parish church. Bill Henderson.

Loanhead, the Parish Church. Bill Henderson. Link.

Newtongrange, Church of Scotland (1939-42). Another view. The current church hall visible behind the church in the latter view was built before the church, and was used as the church during that period. The chunky flying buttresses are an unusual feature! NT 334 642. Link. Grade C listed. Church of Christ. Two additional views - 1, 2. NT 335 643. Link. The former Free Church, now in use as a Masonic Hall. Old maps show it as Free Church in 1894, and United Free Church in 1907 and 1914. Dates here suggest 1874 and 1880 for the building of the church and hall (the latter visible here), but the order is uncertain. It became Church of Scotland following the union in 1929, and closed in 1940. Two further views - 1, 2. Link. NT 333 647. All Howard Richter (2013).

Penicuik.

Roslin, the Collegiate Chapel of St. Matthew. NT 274 630 . From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. An example of the elaborate stone carving. A window. Figure. All Bill McKenzie. Another view, and interior, both from an old album dateable to the 1890's in Christopher Skottowe's Collection. Link. Roslin Kirk (CoS). NT 269 631. Bill Henderson. Another view, Steve Bulman (2015).
Rosslyn, Midlothian - see Roslin above.

 

 
 

Home

03 November 2015

Steve Bulman

Contact Details