||Isle of Anglesey
Anglesey on Wikipedia.
A good churches website for Anglesey.
Aberffraw, St. Beuno (CiW). Largely a Victorian re-build, it still retains
some features from the 12th, 14th, and 16th centuries. Another view. SH 353 688.
Seion Methodist Church (1887). SH 354 690. All © Dave Westrap.
dedicated to St. Eleth. The Catholic church Our
Lady of the Sea. Both © Bill McKenzie.
Methodist Church on Wesley Street,
dating from 1832. It was built to serve English miners and their families, who
had come to Amlwch to work in the massive copper mine on Parys Mountain. © Keith
St. Mary & St. Nicholas. From an old postcard, Steve Bulman's Collection. A modern view, and an
interior view, both © Stuart Mackrell.
Link. Our Lady Queen of Martyrs (R.C.). © Tony Preston.
Brynsiencyn, Horeb Presbyterian
Church. SH 481 671. © Dave Westrap.
Dulas, St. Gwenllwyfo. It
was built in 1854-6, replacing a medieval church nearby. SH 4771
8933. © Penny Salisbury.
Grade II* listed. Some remains of its predecessor survive -
there's a Wikipedia article
here, with a photo.
Llanallgo, Paradws Llanallgo (Presbyterian). SH 504 853. © Dave Westrap.
Menai Bridge, St.
Tyssilio & St. Mary. © Martin Briscoe. An
old postcard view, from an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection.
St. Mary. From a photo in Jill Couthard's
Collection. Capel Mawr (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist, 1838, re-built 1856), on Chapel Street and New Street.
According to the
RCAHMW entry, is was formerly known as Beersheba Methodist Chapel. The nearby Sunday School on
Bryn Afon Street can easily be mistaken for a chapel. The images on the RCAHMW entry also show another Sunday School. SH 557 718. Both © Martin Richter
(2011). Grade II* listed.
Llanbeulan, St. Peulan, stands alone surrounded by fields,
and has been in the care of the Friends of Friendless Churches since 2004.
view. The unusual font is possibly pre-Norman. SH 373 754. All © Tim Hollinghurst.
Another view, three additional
interiors - 1,
3, and the
font, all © Iain Taylor.
St. Edwen (CinW). SH 517 682. © Dave Westrap.
Llaneilian, St. Eilian (CiW).
Another view, and two interior
views - 1,
2, all © Dave Westrap (2010).
SH 469 929. Links (a selection - there are many more.
Llanfaelog, St. Maelog. Interior view. Both © Tim Hollinghurst.
Llanfairynghornwy, St. Mary. SH 326 908. © Rick Williams.
Llanfihangel Ysceifiog, the ruins
of St. Michael. Another view,
and two "interiors" - 1,
2. All © Iain Taylor.
Llangadwaladr, St. Cadwaladr. Interior view.
SH 3837 6927. Both © Tim Hollinghurst. Two additional views -
chancel window, and the
altar, all © Martin Richter
Grade I listed.
St. Ceinwen. © Bill McKenzie.
Llangoed, St. Cawrdaf. SH 612
806. Ty Rhys Calvinistic Methodist Chapel. The inscription has
dates 1794, 1822, 1878 and 1908. SH 613 806. My thanks to Janet Gimber for the identification. Both © Tony Preston (2009).
Llangwyfan, St. Cwyfan (CiW) is set on the tiny island of Cribinau just off the shore. Also known as "The Church in
the Sea". Another view, and another. Services are held only a few
times a year. SH 335 682. All © Dave Westrap. Link1.
Llanidan, St. Idan (CiW). SH 489
674. © Dave Westrap.
Llantrisant, St. Afran, St. Ieuan
and St. Sannan. Further views show a
font, and the
box pews. SH 3495 8406. All ©
Grade II* listed.
Lligwy, the ruins of a church (no
dedication), also known as Hen Capel (or Gapel) Lligwy.
Another view, and two "interiors" -
2, and the
crypt. All © Iain Taylor.
Newborough, St. Peter (Church in Wales). SH 419 654. © Dave Westrap.
Priory. From an old illustration (1930's) in Colin Waters' Collection.
A modern view, © Penny Salisbury. This old postcard (from Steve Bulman's Collection) shows an ancient cross. Previously in the Unknown section, it was
identified by Janet Gimber. Link.
dedicated to St. Mary. © Bill McKenzie.
Tal-y-Llyn, St. Mary. SH 367 729. © Tim Hollinghurst.
Two additional views - 1,
interior, and the
font, all © Iain Taylor. In the
care of the Friends of Friendless Churches since 1999 - link.
Trefdraeth, St. Beuno. Interior view. Both © Tim Hollinghurst.